What's New in 2018
Season’s Greetings to everyone!
As we turn the final page on what has been an incredible year of sport in Victoria, we would like to extend a warm thank you to our members and the wider sporting community in Victoria for your generous support in 2017.
Increasing participation in sport is always on our agenda and we will continue to develop and run programs, workshops and events to improve and enhance the Victorian sporting landscape.
Special thanks to VicHealth and the State Government for their ongoing support building resources accessible to everyone in the industry.
Vicsport is pleased to announce that the Board elected its new Chairman and Deputy Chairman, Ron Gauci and Andrew Walton respectively. Margot Foster AM has stepped down as Chairman, having held the position for the past five years, leading the organisation through the most productive and influential phase in its history. We thank Margot for her dedication and commitment to the Victorian sport industry.
We’re really excited about what lies ahead, keep an eye on our Victorian Sport Calendar on the Vicsport website for upcoming events and workshops.
Here’s a few events to look out for in 2018:
- Victorian Sport Awards – Wednesday 14 March, 2018. Nominations are now open! Nominations forms can be found here. Nominations close 15 January, 2018.
- LEAP - Female Professional Development Program – Tue 6 and Wed 7 February, 2018. Applications close 8 January, 2018. Apply here.
- Building Effective Boards Workshop – Wednesday 21 February, 2018. Strengthening practices to elect, appoint, and Induct future board members. Register here.
- 2017/18 Forward Thinking Series: Sport Jam – Increasing participation through innovation. Wed 21 – Thu 22 March, 2018. Details of the Forward Thinking Series can be found here.
- Induction Training Into Victorian Sport – Wednesday 23 May, 2018. Learn the basics of the Victorian sporting industry. Register here.
We will continue to provide support to our members on the Child Safe Standards and Mandatory Board Quotas. If you would like to speak to a Vicsport consultant, please do not hesitate to contact us in the new year.
Take care over the summer break, be safe and see you in 2018.
The Vicsport team.
You may also be interested in...
Multiple Winners at the 2016 Victorian Sport Awards
We take a look back at sports that took home multiple awards at the 2016 Victorian Sport Awards
Country Tennis Week: Community Sport’s Hidden Treasure
VCTA Country Week is one of community sport’s hidden treasures. It is the biggest community tennis event in the southern hemisphere. Held annually in February in country Victoria, the tennis tournament attracts over 1500 players to a regional location each year.
New child safe standards for Victorian sporting and recreation clubs
As of 1 January, 2017 sporting and recreation clubs operating in Victoria and providing services or facilities specifically for children are required to meet Child Safe Standards. Child Safe Standards are designed to drive cultural change and embed a focus on child safety by placing children’s rights at the forefront of the organisation’s mind.