Female Professional Development Program
Applications for the 2017/18 LEAP (Lead, Engage, Achieve, Promote) program are now closed. Best of luck to all applicants, stay tuned for testimonies and stories from the participants.
|The Hon. John Eren MP, Minister for Sport with LEAP graduate Rachel Murphy from Sports Central and Vicsport Chairman, Margot Foster AM||The Hon. John Eren MP, Minister for Sport with the 2016/17 LEAP and LEAD graduates|
For the second year running, the LEAP program focuses on developing the talent and leadership skills of female administrators in sport. In partnership with the State Government of Victoria, the LEAP program will aim to inspire female sport administrators to reach their full potential and leadership capabilities. Last year, 17 women from various sporting organisations participated in the LEAP and LEAD program. Read about the 2016/17 program here. Watch a testimony from last years' LEAP participant Renata Farah from Cycling Victoria below:
Who can apply?
Participants need to meet the following selection criteria to be eligible to participate in the LEAP program.
- Identify as a female
- Hold a management position in sport or active recreation for five (5) years or less
- Be ambitious and possess a desire to improve their leadership capabilities and progress to more senior positions within the sport and recreation sector
- Be open to mentoring and be actively engaged in the process
- Committed to completing the required project outside of the session times
- Attendance at all sessions is essential
- Applicants must reside in Victoria
Key Program Outcomes
- Building personal and group leadership capability
- Create an interactive community of leading women who are supportive of themselves, each other and those who follow them
- Foster an environment of collaboration and sharing among stakeholder organisations
- Promote the roles of female leaders in sport
The LEAP program is based on developing the following capacity and capability in participants:
- Personal and group leadership capability
- Creating an interactive network of leading women who are supportive of themselves, each other and those who follow them
- Foster an environment of collaboration and sharing of the unique challenges women face in the sector, with a proactive, solutions based approach.
- Develop the capability of participants to promote their abilities/skills.
- Utilise the skills of an assigned mentor to assist in their development.
Guest speakers, from both inside and outside of sport, will be engaged to encourage outside of the square thinking and different perspectives on the similar challenges faced by women in the workplace.
Participants are required to deliver the following at the completion of the LEAP program:
- Completion of a 2,000-word report with a focus on an idea/concept that will make a difference to their organisation highlighting the leadership and personal development skills they have learnt from the program to be presented at the graduation ceremony.
- Actively seek ongoing advice and guidance of their allocated mentor following the completion of the course.
The program will be a combination of facilitation by Mad4Leaders and Vicsport – a perfect blend of theory, experience outside of sport and the translation to the sporting context. Guest speakers will also be included in the program.
Mad4Leaders will present the first Masterclass focused on developing mentor capacity and capability. Details of the program to be released soon.
The program will run over 4 days and will feature a graduation ceremony at the end with which each LEAP participant receiving a certificate for their participation.
Days 1 & 2 (Residential)
Day 4 (Including Graduation)
6 & 7 February 2018
8 March 2018
9 May 2018
Cost and Inclusions
It is highly encouraged that this program be treated as per any request for professional development and is paid for by the employer. This is an investment in the employer’s leadership staff and will directly benefit the organisation as well as the individual.
Through funding from the State Government of Victoria, this high-quality course has been able to be provided at a significantly reduced rate of $900.00 to be affordable to sport and active recreation organisations. Should an organisation have difficulty in payment (and this is the only barrier to a participant’s participation) please contact Meghan Mayman (Vicsport General Manager – email@example.com or 9698 8108).
Employers will be forwarded an invitation to attend the Graduation Ceremony to show their support for their participant. The organisation will be ‘tagged’ in social media communications relating to the course to highlight their support for women in sport administration positions.
Employers will also be invited to a briefing session to outline the program you will be completing and how they can support you in this program.
The program costs have been kept to a minimum to ensure that cost is not a barrier to participation.
- Four days of expertly facilitated program content
- Resource materials
- Overnight accommodation and dinner as part of days 1 and 2 of the program
- Breakfast and alcoholic drinks are not included days 1 and 2 of the program (residential)
- Travel, car parking and transport
The application process has been developed with your busy schedule in mind – there are six (6) questions to answer and it is anticipated it will take 10 – 15 minutes to complete.
Responses will not be shared outside of the Vicsport General Manager and program facilitators to select participants and to adapt the program to your challenges. Applications close on 8 January 2018.
Complete the APPLICATION FORM to enroll in the 2017/18 LEAP program.
Should you have any queries, please contact
General Manager, Vicsport