The Australian Dancing Society (ADS) has opened it's arms to a new dance category at their 73rd Australian DanceSport Championships at Hisense Arena on the 7th – 9th December 2018.
The championships are a celebration of Australian and International DanceSport, and remains one of the key events on the international circuit providing Australian athletes with the opportunity to compete against some of the world’s best on home soil.
This year, the competition features a new category, Para-dance; an initiative of DanceSport WA in a bid for the sport to become diverse and inclusive in both age and ability.
ADS intends to lead the way to include All Ability and Para-dance events across Australia and hope the performances at the Australian Championships next month will encourage participants into the sport. ADS plans to introduce Para-dance in Victoria in 2019.
Objectives and benefits of DanceSport:
- To build confidence, self-esteem and social engagement through inclusion
- To enable primary and high school students to be included and confidently and participate in school dance programs, socials and graduation dances
- To bridge the gap between para and able-bodied individuals/students by allowing them to feel comfortable dancing together at social functions
- To establish a social and competitive pathway for all ability and para-athletes
- Skill development for participants
Tickets for the Australian DanceSport Championships can be purchased here.
Watch videos below from the 2017 Para-dance competition in Perth.
Communications and Marketing Manager, Vicsport
You may also be interested in...
Women & Girls Strategy launched in Ballarat
Earlier this year, City of Ballarat launched their Women and Girls’ Strategy aimed at increasing female participation in sport and physical activity.
REVIEW: INSIGHTS AND INNOVATION LAB
This post is the first in a two part series by David Hood from Doing Something Good inspired by the recent Insights and Innovation Lab, presented as part of Vicsport’s Forward Thinking Series delivered with support from VicHealth