Thursday 1 November, 2018.
The Victorian Sport Awards is the night of nights for the Victorian sporting community; celebrating participants, coaches, organisers and the volunteers behind the scenes from all levels of sport in Victoria.
Nominations open for the 2018 Victorian Sport Awards on Thursday 1 November and details on who is eligible and how to nominate can be found here:
Entrants in the Awards are nominated by friends, family, teammates, club members or their local community in recognition of their outstanding contribution to sport and active recreation.
This year Vicsport is pleased to announce the inaugural Peter Norman Inclusion Award, specially developed with Nova Peris OAM, Australian athlete and Federal Senator, to recognise clubs and sporting organisations that are opening their doors to athletes of all abilities to participate in sport and active recreation.
Here is a link to a short film titled I’ll Stand With You which highlights Peter Norman’s stance and why it’s important to celebrate inclusiveness in sport:
Vicsport Chairman Ron Gauci says:
The Victorian Sport Awards is a highlight event on the Victorian sporting calendar and Vicsport is pleased to celebrate the wonderful achievements of our home-grown sporting heroes, from community and grassroots to the elite level.
“This is your opportunity to ensure that those heroes in your local sporting community are recognised and celebrated through your nominations.”
Each year the Victorian Sport Awards receives hundreds of nominations which aim to recognise and celebrate the exceptional members of the Victorian sporting community; the individuals and team athletes, coaches, administrators and volunteers from both metropolitan and regional areas in Victoria.
The quality and breadth of the nominations received makes selecting the finalists a difficult endeavour, which is why the 2018 Victorian Sport Awards invites 32 highly qualified Victorian sports people to constitute the judging panels charged with picking the finalists across the 20 categories.
Judges include people from various diverse sporting groups and roles including:
- Steve Moneghetti AM OLY, represented Australia at four Olympic Games, four Commonwealth Games and six World Championships. Winner of the 1989 and 1995 Male Athlete of the Year and 2001 Outstanding Contribution to Sport Award
- Kyle Van der Kuyp OLY, 12 times National Hurdles Champion, Olympic finalist
- Kitty Chiller OLY, Gymnastics Australia CEO and former Chef De Mission of the Australian Olympic Committee
- Catherine Freeman OAM OLY, Olympic Champion
- Jan Stirling AM, GM High Performance at Basketball Australia and former Opals Coach, FIBA Hall of Fame member
- Anne Marie Harrison – CEO Victorian Institute of Sport
- Dr Bridie O’Donnell - Head, Office for Women in Sport & Recreation, elite road cyclist and former professional rider in Europe and the US
- Vicsport Chairman Ron Gauci
- Nova Peris re the inaugural Peter Norman Inclusion Award
- Vicsport Award judges
The Victorian Sport Awards are presented by the State Government of Victoria and Vicsport.
Held at the Marvel Stadium, the Victorian Sport Awards can be attended by all entrants, nominees, family, friends, sporting organisations and clubs to celebrate the successes of community sport in Victoria.
Last year's Awards attracted 500 attendees including many of Victoria’s premier athletes and grassroots heroes.
Wednesday 20 February, 2019
Marvel Stadium, Docklands
The Awards are a night that recognises and celebrates the achievements of our home-grown sporting heroes and legends and all those who helped them get there.
Categories in the 2018 Victorian Sport Awards are as follows:
- Victorian Coach of the Year
- Victorian Community Coach of the Year
- Sports Accounting Australia Victorian Official of the Year
- Victorian Community Official of the Year
- SportsTG Victorian Sports Administrator of the Year - Eunice Gill Award
- Southern Cross Trophies Victorian Young Volunteer of the Year
- Involve Creative Victorian Masters Athlete of the Year
- SportsLink Travel Victorian Team of the Year
- Victorian Young Team of the Year
- Victorian Young Athlete of the Year
- Governor's Award Victorian Male Athlete of the Year - Frank Wilkes Award
- Governor's Award Victorian Female Athlete of the Year - Kitty McEwan Award
- Victorian Local Government Initiative of the Year
- Victorian Outdoor/Active and Recreation Initiative of the Year
- VicHealth Sport Development Initiative of the Year
- Love the Game Victorian Community Sporting Club of the Year
- My Sport Live Victorian Community Sporting Event of the Year
- State Government of Victoria Service to Victorian Community Sport and Recreation
- State Government of Victoria Outstanding Contribution to Sport
- Peter Norman Inclusion Award (new Award)
For media enquiries please contact
Communications and Marketing Manager, Vicsport
email@example.com | 0433 503 455
You may also be interested in...
Finalists in Victorian Sports Awards Announced
Finalists for the 2016 Victorian Sports Awards announced today will showcase the outstanding performances of athletes, teams, coaches, officials, administrators and sporting organisations, from the grassroots through to elite level in nineteen categories.
VICSPORT LAUNCH ‘FORWARD THINKING SERIES’ IN PARTNERSHIP WITH VICHEALTH
Vicsport to deliver a series of ‘forward thinking’ events to support the community sport industry develop cutting edge ideas on how to get more people active through sport
La Trobe and AFLPA tackling athlete welfare
La Trobe University and the AFL Players’ Association hosted an intimate breakfast symposium to create dialogue on the important issue of elite athlete welfare at Port Melbourne’s Lifeguards@200 on Wednesday morning.