Standard 2 - Child Safe Policy
A child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety.
Creating a foundation for a child safe environment by:
- Documenting how you will meet your duty of care responsibilities to children
- Confirming your commitment to child safety and the best interests of children
- Making a commitment to child safety clear to people in your organisation, children, families and the community
Examples of how your organisation can meet this Standard:
- Develop a new (or review your existing) child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety – if you don’t have one already, your State Sport Association may have a Child Safe Policy you can adopt. Vicsport also has a template you can use.
- Ensure committee members, staff and volunteers are aware of your child safe policy and its key points.
- Communicate the policy widely through direct emails, newsletters, social media, written reports, your website and more.
- Include your child safe policy and additional material in all inductions and welcome meetings for committee members, any staff, volunteers such as coaches and officials etc.
- Promote a “policy of the month” via your newsletters, social media and communication channels
- Provide a contact person/people in communications about your policy to assist with enquiries and activities
You can support your members by:
- Providing an outline of the policy development process you have undertaken
- Providing members with easy access to your child safe policy
- Providing a contact person/people to assist with any questions or enquiries