“I’ll stand with you” - Human Equality Campaign
Please note: This event is by invite only
Stand with Vicsport and promote inclusivity in sport and equality for all.
This Vicsport event will see the launch of the audio-visual film of Vicsport's campaign “I’ll stand with you”.
This campaign is based on the stance of Victorian Athletics and Human Rights Champion, the late Peter Norman OLY.
Peter Norman won an Olympic Silver medal at the 1968 Mexico Olympics in the 200m, and 50 years later in 2018 his Australian and Oceania record still stands. Peter became internationally known for his support for USA Track athletes, John Carlos and Tommie Smith when they made their famous black gloved and raised-fist salute at the 1968 Olympics medal ceremony.
This image of all three men on the podium is globally famous and without a doubt, recognised as one of the 20th century’s most famous and striking sporting images. Melbourne born Australian Olympian, Peter Norman stood alongside in solidarity with Carlos and Smith in support and wore an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge.
The audio-visual film of our campaign I’ll stand with you will:
- Re-tell the story of how Peter Norman took a stance for human rights and equality
- Promote inclusivity in sport and inspirationally showcase that we are all members of the ‘Human Race’
- Demonstrate that racism has no place in sport
- Promote equality for all, which remains a priority in Victorian sport.
The aim of this event is for Vicsport to to educate and break down the barriers of racial discrimination among sports fans, players, coaches and the wider sporting community.
This event has been scheduled for 16 October, the very same day this historical event took place 50 years ago.
- Doors will open at 5.45pm in the Lightwell Gallery at ACMI
- Drinks and canapes will be served upon arrival
- This Vicsport event "I'll stand with you" will be followed by a special screening of the movie "Salute: The Story Behind the Image" by Matt Norman
If you have any questions or you would like to be involved in the event, please do not hesitate to contact Vicsport via the details below
Administration and Events Corrdinator
P 9698 8104
M 0423 368 394
|Tue Oct 16 2018, 5:45pm — Tue Oct 16 2018, 6:45pm|
Free (Member: Free)
|ACMI, Lightwell Gallery, Federation Square, Flinders St, Melbourne VIC 3000|