Understanding trends in sport & what they mean for Local Government
Understanding the current trends and challenges being experienced globally and locally in the sporting sector is extremely important for Local Governments. The 40+ attendees at the recent Vicsport Local Government Authority (LGA) Forum received an inside look at these trends, and what they could mean for their Councils.
The expert line-up of presenters and their topics included:
- Martin Sheppard, Managing Director of the Smart Connection Consultancy (Strategic Alignment)
- Xiaoyan Lu, Director, Sport Market Insights at The Australian Sports Commission (AusPlay Survey)
- Alun Breward, Manager - Research and Data at Sport and Recreation Victoria (Participation Research)
- Rayoni Nelson, Manager - Physical Activity, Sport and Healthy Eating at VicHealth (VicHealth’s Action Agenda)
The attendees also heard from and were able to engage with a panel of State Sporting Associations (SSA) including Basketball Victoria, Golf Victoria and Gymnastics Victoria. This panel session allowed Councils to gain a greater understanding of how to work more efficiently with sports, as well as providing an opportunity to see the programs these sports are currently conducting.
A more effective relationship between Councils and sports will help both parties to achieve their common objectives of getting people active. The challenges faced are often associated with facilities and areas in which sports have access to.
The key messages of the Forum were:
- The need for quality information on sport participation to base decisions on.
- The opportunity for sport and LGAs to access more information from the upcoming AusPlay survey and Sport Spatial.
- The need for greater communication between SSAs and LGAs.
- The need for increased understanding of the pressures on SSAs and LGAs, noting that both have the same desired outcome (increased participation).
- The negative impact Rate Capping will have on sport in some LGAs.
- The challenge of providing sport and active recreation options for people – the club market and those wanting the non-affiliated experience.
- Opportunities for LGAs to become involved in VicHealth programs to further promote Healthy environments through sport and active recreation.
Vicsport would like to again thank all presenters, panellists and attendees for their time. These sessions will go a long way to building the relationships between sport and local government.
You may also be interested in...
Sportscover launches sports interview and news website
Sportscover is proud to announce the launch of its sports interview and news website
Vicsport Open House: Co-Working Space #3
The third edition of the Vicsport 'Open House' provided another great opportunity for anyone working in the sport and active recreation industry to spend the day working alongside colleagues, collaborating, sharing ideas and meeting new people in a relaxed environment
King Wally becomes a Legend as Michelle Payne rides off with the 'The Don'
Wally Lewis has become the 38th Legend of Australian sport and Michelle Payne presented with ‘The Don’ Award as the athlete who most inspired the nation at the 32nd Sport Australia Hall of Fame Induction and Awards Gala in Melbourne.