Do You Want a Job In Sport?
Image: Warwick Waters, featured industry expert
On a freezing cold Monday night 1 June 2015, Vicsport held its first VPN Student Member Session titled Do You Want A Job In Sport?
The attendee list included 26 students from La Trobe, Deakin and Victoria Universities who are currently studying sports management, sports science, journalism and business at undergraduate and masters levels.
The aim of the session was to provide students with practical tips and advice on obtaining a job in sport and to highlight the value of networking in the industry.
Tips were shared from three industry experts;
- Ros Holding (Global Recruiting Consultant, Sportspeople)
- Kerrie Canning (Partner, HR Advice Online)
- Warwick Waters (CEO, Victorian Olympic Council and Vicsport Board Member)
Consistent themes from all the presentations and discussions were:
- Industry networking
- Personal presentation, image and first impressions
- Appropriate self-promotion
- Volunteer roles and internships
- Tailoring any job application to emphasise skills and experiences that match the position selection criteria
- Broadening your experiences for more than just one sport
- Mentors, both formal and informal
- Attitude and enthusiasm
After highlighting the need for students to develop networks it was pleasing for to see the amount of people who remained for up to an hour after the session to ask more questions of the presenters and also to network with their peers.
This event was free for VPN members, only $15 for non-members (this fee is deducted from subsequent membership). Sign up here.
It is envisaged that another session specific for student VPN members will be held later in 2015.